March 20, 2008

Home Cooked-Easy Easter Dinner

Easter Dinner made easy!

I think I would have to say Easter is one of the easier holidays of them all. I really try to make it very simple. I do believe in Home Cooked food, after all isn't that what this whole blog is about? Well even I cheat on occasion! I really love The Honey Baked Hams, from the Honey Baked Ham store.

One year for Easter, my sister-n-law was in charge of making the ham, luckily she decided to start it early saturday morning, to make things easier on Easter day! Now, this was the first time she had ever made a ham, usually this was my mother's specialty but she had passed the year prior.

I woke up fairly early that saturday morning, and much to my surprise the ham that she was cooking, actually smelled pretty good! (my sister-n-law wasn't to much of an experienced cook at this point and time) Anyway, I took a peek in the oven, and she did a great job, it looked and smelled wonderful. I was really impressed, as I was only 18 at the time, and I didn't know the first thing about cooking a ham either.

It couldn't have been more than 10 minutes later, there was a loud, crashing sound that came from the kitchen. It almost sounded as if someone had broke every dish in the whole house all at once. I ran into the kitchen to make sure everything was ok, and my sister-n-law was standing there in tears. It seems that she added a little cold water, to the ham in order to keep it from drying out, which would have been fine, if she wasn't using a glass pan to cook it in! That was when I learned, you can't add cold water to a hot glass pan!

That's when I discovered the Honey Baked Ham store. They make the best spiral sliced ham, I had ever eaten. So now, for our Easter Dinner, we have a new tradition. My sister-n-law is in charge of buying the ham from the Honey Baked Ham store, and I make the side dishes. My side dishes consist of; my homemade potatoe salad, macoroni and cheese, baked beans and deviled eggs. I usually make a NewYork style cheesecake for dessert.

No comments: